Monday, March 5, 2012

Getting Them Teacher's Shoes Back On...

Yes!  My role as a teacher is effective starting from today!!!  Yippee....however....NOT as an English teacher if you might be wondering and not a teaching assistant even!  Guess what?  I will be teaching the Malaysian traditional dance! HAHAHAH..funny eh.

The school that my children is attending will be organzing an International Day on the 17th of March and our Malaysian team which consists of only 5 parents had bravely agreed to participate in the event just for fun's sake.  And to add to the jitterbugs that we are all facing at the moment with so many things to do and not many hands to help, one pretty bright smart-ass parent had suggested to put in a traditional dance for all the other nationalities to see.  And you know who that smartypants was...yours truly!  Due to that single bright idea, I was 'proudly' made the coach for the dance..pfftt!  

Not knowing any single Malaysian dance, I came up with the idea to perform the ever simple Tarian Endang which hails from my Minangkabau-an roots! Heheheh..sonong eh Jang...really..sonang eh..poning palo dibueknyo..As easy as it may seem, it is not that easy!  For starters, to choreograph the steps can be pretty difficult because you need different movements for each verses of the song.  That is what makes this tarian appealing.  Then, knowing that I am choreographing children, I also had to scour for simple dance movements which the kids can memorize easily, moves which will not stress them out or that can frustrate them.  Well, actually, Mr.youtube is helping doing it for me. Next, like any other dances, you must have an ear for the beat as each and every movement should coincide with it.  Finally, a beautiful Tarian Endang that will be appreciated and catch one's eye is one that starts and ends in unison..for every single step, that is.  

To think of my little dancers ranging from the ages of 4 (yes, my little Khalida volunteered albeit not even going to school yet) to 13, this is going to be one hard nut to crack!  Having said that, I have to bear in mind, that I shan't be too tough on them because for these kids to participate is a grace itself and since this will be their first time participating in this sort of event, we will take it as it should be..slow and steady!  However, I will remain positive and enthusiastic!  After all..this is all for fun, right!  So, without wasting anytime, I am now going to switch into my He-man mode!  

"  By the power of Grey Skull, I have the poooooooowweeeeeerrrr!!!"

Wish us luck okay!


4 comments:

The Tea Drinker said...

omg!!

u'r a dude!!

Sir Pök Déng said...

Inang dance (probably Inang Renek) is beautiful too!

R.A.S said...

Tea..I was thinking of She-Ra..but since I'm in the Endang mode..dudette is more likely...it's nice being a guy once a while..I can eat and burp at the same time..hahahahah..

R.A.S said...

Sir Pok Deng,
One by one..I have still the Endang to master. The Inang is nice but my hips are rock hard, stiff..can't move gracely...hehehe(my excuse)