I have never made chicken rice on my own before having my mother instructing me all the time. And because she was always around, I never thought of taking her recipe. So, when I got bored of the normal meals we had, I decided to make Chicken Rice and went scouring for a chicken rice recipe on the net. I stumbled into this site http://fiqah99.blogspot.com/ and decided to try out the recipe she had. I say, it turned out well. She takes great picture of her food too!
Nasi Ayam Chef Wan
Ingredients for the rice:
1/2 cup margarine ( I used butter)
2 onions, chopped ( I blended this)
2 cm ginger, sliced thinly (Blended)
3 cloves of garlic, sliced thinly ( blended)
1 cm cinnamon
2 strand of screwpine leaves, tear it in the middle and tie it in a knot.
4 cups of rice
1 1/2 cups of chicken stock
salt to taste
- Melt the butter in a pan. Saute the blended items with the cloves, cinnamon and screwpine leaves.
- Add the rice and saute this too for a while.
- Add the chicken stock and salt and simmer for a minute or two.
- Then, I put the whole thing in a rice cooker and let tit continue to cook.
1 whole chicken, halved
1 inch ginger
2 cloves of garlic ( I used 4)
A generous amount of black pepper
2 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp margarine ( I used butter and more than 3 tbsp)
salt to taste
- Blend the garlic and ginger. Not too fine.
- Mix the garlic and ginger in the butter to make a paste.
- Then, rub the butter mixture underneath the skin of the bird.
- On the skin of the chicken, rub it with the soy sauce, salt and pepper.
- Roast for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
10 red chilies
3 cloves of garlic
1 inch ginger
1/2 cup chicken stock
3 tbsp vinegar ( depending on your preference)
- Put the chilies, ginger and garlic in a blender with half of the chicken stock. Blitz until it is fine.
- If the mixture is too thick add in the rest of the stock.
- Add in the vinegar one tbsp at a time and mix well.
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup chicken stock
sesame oil ( I used the toasted one)
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
Oil drippings from the roasted chicken
- Heat the oil dripping in a saucepan and saute the garlic.
- Add the soy sauce and chicken stock, leave it to simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and dash some sesame oil into the sauce.
(This is also used to make the rice and sauces)
2 chicken carcasses
1 cinnamon stick
cardamom, cloves and star anise
1 tsp each of fennel, cumin and coriander seeds.
1 carrot stick, chopped
Cabbage, sliced ( amount is entirely up to you, just balance it with the amount of carrot)
1 ltr water
2 onions, each cut into 4
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- Simmer the chicken carcass in the water with everything . Add in salt to taste.