I was busy scrubbing the stove when this faint scent of burnt plastic came seeping through my nostrils. I headed outside to check the computer as my kids were there accessing their FB. I had thought that the smell came from somewhere around that area but nothing was wrong with the computer or the plugs surrounding it.
I went back to the kitchen to resume my task of scrubbing and cleaning but the moment I passed the dining room, this burning odor had become stronger so I dashed to the kitchen. And there it was, the moment I stepped into the kitchen I could see that the air-cond control unit was on fire! Not fire like a real firelah...not the kind of fire worthy of the fire brigade's attention with the kabooooom effect but it was enough to make my already small heart smaller! The fire was like one coming from a lighted match but because it was inside the aircond unit with its little wires and the fact that smoke had already welcomed its own presence in my kitchen, mere thoughts of my house exploding like those you see on the television were rushing through my head.
Instantly I called my husband who was on night shift and told him, "Babes, the kitchen is on fire..". Whatla... the kitchen is on fire and what am I doing calling him when I am supposed to be a messed up lunatic! Of course he went frantic, no ler..he was digesting what he had just heard..wouldn't you when your loonie wife calls to say the kitchen is on fire but you could hear your kids giggling behind? Eventually, I brought down the drama and told him what was happening. Yes, there was a small spark and just soooooome smoke coming out from the thermostat, not to forget the plastic was melting..yessiree..m.e.l.t.i.n.g.. and of course, the temperature on the screen was showing at 56 deg cel.. Therefore, it is reasonably justified to act all freaked out, right..???
Five minutes later..Mr Wong, a fellow Malaysian who lives three buildings away comes to check up on the house. Upon seeing the so-called burning thingy, he was pretty worried! (Yeah..tell me about it...all my Maggi mee, Malaysian curry powder, my sos tiram and chilli sauce, my TUPPERWARE..oh my TUPPERWARE...all blown up into tiny particles...) He, in turn, helped me by calling the emergency unit and reported our situation. Bless that man. Five minutes after that, came a tall handsome Arab man who claims to be security. It seems that during emergency situations after office hours, security would come to check and confirm how pressing one's situation is.. The man looks at the thing and calls maintenance who come 10 minutes afterwards. Haiya...All this calling here and there...if the sparks were as active as a cancer cell, my whole house would have been blown to pieces!
Maintenance came but were not all too worried. Since this happened on a Thursday night, they couldn't replace the thermostat as shops have already closed. Hence to ease my worries, they turned off the main switch for that particular thermostat. Well, since the house is already like an icebox itself, to have the kitchen air-cond down wasn't a big deal. Pheeeeeewww....what a relief! There it is...my first crisis in Ruwais.
|Off limits..you see the melted spot?? You see it...|