Friday, July 29, 2011

Getting my ID card.

I made my Emirates ID a couple of weeks ago.  My husband informed me the night before that we had to leave home and reach the registration office by 6, register our name with the security guard, go back home and come back at 9 am when the office is opened. 

The Ruwais office it seems, would only take in at most a number of twenty applicants per day hence the booking as early as 6 am.  Can you just imagine these people working from 9 to 12 something, come back after lunch and sit on their bottom some more until 4, doing nothing because they would only take in 20 applications for an EIDA card and that made me instantly remember how I had constantly ranted about the poor government service in Malaysia..how I wish I had not!  Arriving the office at 600 without them kids, there was already a long queue but counting, we were still safe being placed at number 15.  After waiting for almost an hour, the security finally decided to come for duty and informed us that the branch does not provide any typing services for the forms. It is a requirement, I was told, that forms have to be typewritten and only an agent could  do that for you..hampeh.

As our children were left behind, sleeping soundly at home under the supervision of my eldest, we decided to head straight for Gayathi, a town about 30 minutes away.   We went to the registration office and were told that they too did not provide typing services.  Thence, we had to scour the town..well...it wasn't big anyways and there we managed to find a typing office that was opened as early as 730.  When typing was done, we made our way to the registration office to proceed with matters but were frustrated when told that the only lady officer to handle female applicants was away that day. Whaattt??? Does that mean in the whole town of Gayathi, they had only allocated ONE lady officer..grrr..there goes my precious time. 

Since we were already in Gayathi, we went to the hospital to take my medical report that I did earlier and there it was, standing alone in the middle of the hospital, so desolate, so empty, another registration branch!  Trying my luck, I entered the building and was given great  news that I was able to do my eida (ID) card application there! Hooraaayyy...

I realized that I was the only applicant in an office of about 10 officers all on their blackberries. WOW..this is a dream place..to get paid salary for being on my blackberry..(hey, that rhymes!) gaji buta eh..? I was called to process my application and had to scan all ten of my fingers for prints. I knew there would be problems pertaining this.  Suffering from excema specifically on my fingers, there was no way in heavens were they going to get a decent print of my fingers.  


What normally would take a normal person with silky smooth henna painted fingers less than 20 minutes, took me a whooping one hour!  Out of the ten fingers I have, only two prints were accepted.  The officer tried and tried and tried relentlessly despite me telling her of my "disorder" but she chose to ignore me and kept giving me creamler, sanitizerla, told me to wipe my fingers dryler..and kept on telling me to relax, just relax..just relax..just relax..Now, how could I relax when I felt so violated with her pushing and pressing my fingers against that scanning thingy in so many different positions???  Since she was a nice lady with a pair of beautiful eyes, I decided to act stupid.  Naam..naam or hasana..hasana was my only reply.

After many many attempts failed with the fingerprints projected on the computer rejected, a senior officer decided to bypass the system and my excemaed fingers were finally given recognition.  She then decided to joke around and called me the one without fingerprints...hahaha. funny Arab! To which I retorted, " I could get away with crimes coz you wont be able to identify me, hahahah"  I was the only one laughing...not funny, Malayzian!

The last process was to take a picture of me for the card and I was bewildered. I thought that we had to provide a picture of ourselves..  Amat apiz never told me anything about taking a picture..I went barefaced..no makeup at all and to think of wearing the shirt I slept in..I looked so ..so..yucks !!! That is almost as big a crime as being blasphemous... relaying this concern to the ladies, I managed to make them laugh..funny afterall Malayzian..no??  They took a picture of me anyways with a goofed up looking face. Wouldn't you be if you had no makeup and for the fact that your fingers were tortured?  The damage was done.

Well heck, even if I were beautiful at all but being Asian, these Arabs could not care about you..beautiful or not, funny looking with distorted fingerprints, I managed to get my EIDA card. Now..just waiting for it to reach my doorsteps..! Syukran.

No comments: