Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Giving Them the Benefit of the Doubt.

When you teach the last class..or to be precise, the weakest class which rooms handfuls of students who are not only weak.(obviously) but whom are also VERY rowdy, at times laziness would come knocking on your door.   It isn't easy teaching this group of students for it takes a lot of hard work. 

You must come extremely prepared mentally and physically, engaging them with activities that would fill up their time and that would arouse their interest.  You would also need to bring along an extra bag of patience to get you going when the students seem to ask all sorts of 'stupid' questions and being silly and idiotic at times.  Even at 17, they can act more childish than a 13 year old would and at times, they want all the attention being all "manja" and wanting all the praises that they could have.  It is definitely tiring..talking to them softly and gently, making sure that when you reprimand them, you go back to win their hearts giving them the reason for being scolded just before and not only that, imagine repeating a simple instruction many many times to have another asking you what you should do, hmmmpppphhh ... it isn't an easy job!!!!

Today was my lazy day, with the rain falling like a bursting dam it didn't help much to refrain myself from going into my 'sloth mode'.  I have much to do but just could not do it so I decided to bring them into the hall to watch a story-telling competition that would begin exactly at the same time their class with me would, .  But one question there was...Would they behave themselves???  If they didn't, I would be in deep trouble because it could distract the contestants' concentration, the judges would be disrupted too because hearing would be impaired and teachers would point their fingers at me which would dent my reputation (not that I have one).  

I decided to take that as a challenge and took the risk.  If anyone wants to be upset, so be it.  I would take in all the angry responses from them.  Not that I was that lazy today, but I wanted these 5 Baihaqi students to learn how to behave themselves accordingly and to just listen instead of being heard all the time.  I seated them in the hall and pleaded with all my might for them to save my face by being well behaved.  Other than that, I gave them all a task to jot down only 5 words that they don't understand from the story and who ever managed to impress me would be given RM3 (they wanted RM10 so it could buy whoever a pack of ciggies) 

And so the competition began..and were they noisy and did they drive me up the wall????  NO..not a bit!!!  Not a single teeny weeny bit. They were all manageable! :)  Well... yeah..some chatted all the way and giggled and fooled around but not to the extend that it would upset me.  I was so proud of them and it just deepens my love for these rowdy students!!!    They fooled around quietly and it were the Form 1 and 3 students who I had to quieten down.  I

It doesn't hurt to give someone a break once a while although they are infamous for certain things.  You never know how they could surprise you.!! I did just that today, giving these students the benefit of the doubt, and I have this new found respect towards the students.  Yeah, they might be good at being bad but they aren't bad at all in being good!  
Thank you 5 Al-Baihaqi for teaching me something new about you today.


2 comments:

Aishah said...

The challenges of being a teacher.

R.A.S said...

Yes..indeed.