Thursday, October 28, 2010

Mummy's Bread and Butter Pudding

I count myself as very lucky to have a mother who shares the same passion for cooking. especially when it comes to baking. And for that matter, I always make her my point of reference for she can troubleshoot any recipe just by hearing or looking at the ingredients I use. 

Last two weeks, I was in this Bread and Butter Pudding craze mode and I just had to have it EVERY day!  To hoots with my portion control and watching my diet, I just needed to sink my teeth in this rich creamy texture to fulfil my gastronomical cravings.  And lo..I was on a vicious mission to whip up my own version of the above said pudding. 

Upon preparing the ingredients, my mother who is by far the meanest and cruellest critic there is to exist, shook her head in disapproval at the mere sight of the ingredients that laid on my counter top. " This will never make a nice pudding", said she while her hands were fumbling in my larder to make amends on what was wrong.  

Giving me her green light, I made the pudding using the ingredients she prepared.  Voila... thus the bestest, most delicious, tastiest, creamiest, nicest and most satisfying Bread and Butter Pudding came into birth.  Mmmmm....delectable!  Since yang baik itu datang dari Allah into Mummy's mind, I would love to share the recipe with you.  I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did!


WAWAN'S BREAD AND BUTTER PUDDING 
5 eggs
1.5 cups caster sugar
3 tins of condensed milk ( I used Ideal. I think it has the best taste compared to the others)
Half a tin of luke warm water ( my own resipi)
Vanilla
Nutmeg
10 to 12 slices of bread.
Raisins


Method:
  1. Beat the eggs with sugar until it becomes dissolved.
  2. Pour the milk and warm water into the egg and sugar mixture.
  3. Add a dash of vanilla. (I added 2 dashes.. needed my own stint so I can claim that some part of the recipe originated from  me) 
  4. Add nutmeg to taste.  Taste it literally.  If you feel it needs more nutmeg, then add some more.
  5. Slab a generous amount of butter on one side of the slices of bread. 
  6. Lay them in the container you will use to bake it.
  7. Pour the contents of liquid onto the bread and let it soak for half an hour. 
  8. Make sure the liquid is enough to submerge the bread. Don't forget the raisins.
  9. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 150 degrees celcius for 30 minutes. Reduce the time if you don't like it burnt.


CUSTARD SAUCE
Half a litre of fresh milk
2 tbsp custard powder
Vanilla essence
Salt


Method:
  1. Dissolve the custard powder in  about 5 spoon of milk.  
  2. Then add it to the remaining milk.  Add vanilla essence and a pinch of salt.
  3. Put over a small fire and stir continuously until mixture thickens.  
*If the mixture is too thick for your liking, just add more liquid to suit your palate.


Enjoy...

2 comments:

Wan Sharif said...

Alamak.. ni saya punya favourite ni.. alahai terus rasa nak makan..

Rosfida Abu Sufi said...

JAngan makan jer...you ask Mrs Wang to make it for you..sure terangkat punyer! Hehehe...my favorite too..at least for this month!