Sunday, September 5, 2010

On baking...

A mother's love for her children surpasses anything else.  Even when she is tired, she would get up.  Even when she is sad, she would laugh...all in the name of love for her children.  

I hate baking cookies..loathe it extremely! Detest..despite..just hate hate hate it!  As compared to making pies, cakes, lasagne, fish pies to name a few, I feel that baking cookies take up so much of my time and on top of it all, the process is repetitive unlike making cakes, you do all sorts of things from making the batter, to baking it, to decorating it and finally chomping on it! With cookies you would have to do the same thing over and over again until the last piece of dough is baked.  So..it is time consuming, right?

However, out of love, I baked..not just one but 4 batches of my newly concocted Double Whammy Chocolate Chip cookies, a recipe I altered from a brownie recipe that my SIL gave to  me.. Just imagine making cookies out of 500 grams of butter..that gives you a lot of baking to do!  It all started when my son told me he wanted to eat some cookies, but the ones Mummies always make like in the TV.  And Iman being a loyal servant to her brother, added more to it making me melt down which got me tricked into agreeing to bake.  And so, I baked!  Even through the tone of this post, I bet some of you can sense my lack of excitement...it just shows how enthusiastic I was to bake!

Now, I am on my last batch of cookies..my boy and gals have gained a kilo yesterday from eating the cookies made since 2 days ago. I have scalded my hand, arm, fingers due to replacing the baking trays from in to out and back in to the oven and my whole body smells of butter and chocolate now which resulted in Khalida to nibble on my arm saying "Mum hand nice!!"  Not only that, I even managed to make some for my MIL and Mummy apart from my three little terrors.  Do I like baking cookies now? Still don't!!!  But one thing for sure,  I love that post-baking period when seeing my children eat my freshly baked cookies while thanking me repeatedly for "being such a wonderful Mum" and spilling fresh milk all over the floor.  So, would I bake cookies again?  Without a doubt! ;)

This is nothing but my plain ramblings for today...

7 comments:

Wan Sharif said...

Ah ha..lewat nya.. mesti lebih fresh to be consumed on the hariraya itself..
Ayoh Wang only have to hold the kids from disturbing their parents baking their hearts out...

Fely said...

It's absolutely typical isn't it, that the one thing we detest, is the thing that the kids like the most. But that's kids for you. But can you imagine 10 years down the line when your kids are in school and they declare to their friends that their mummy makes the best cookies ever!! What a compliment that would be, eh?

Rosfida Abu Sufi said...

Ayoh Wang..hmm..I like that..very fatherly!

Yes, it is still fresh...so do drop by if you happen to pass by Kerteh but only if my hubby aroundler. But I guess he won't mind since you got your missus with you!

Yes, having to make a protective shield against the batter and not me..the kids just love getting their hands all messy to help Mum..

Rosfida Abu Sufi said...

Fely,
Yes..I guess that is me. I claim to all my friends that my mum makes the best lemon meringue pie and also the bestest kueh Melayu like lepat ubi, cucur badak and even her simple cucur tepung is a hit among the teachers at the school I teach. So, I guess this is my investment..

Uncle Lee said...

Hi Rosfida, salam aidilfitri....a mother's love for her children knows no bounds, nor boundaries....she'll even sacrifice herself if need be.....
and no matter whether she enjoys or dislikes baking whatever, but when she does, it has that special ingredient no shop or bakery has.
It's called, 'love'.

And when her child or children puts it in their mouths, looks up to say, "it's so nice, mummy"....Or, "I love it, mummy"...it will make even scalding your hand or fingers or washing the dishes worth it.....

The ultimate reward of seeing a child giving her mother a smile of appreciation.....after all, she's has nobody else that loves her or him, or them as only a mother can.

Here's wishing you and family, selamat hari raya, best wishes, Lee.

Uncle Lee said...

Hi Rosfidah, here's wishing you and family selamat hari raya and all best wishes. Happy holidays, Lee.

Rosfida Abu Sufi said...

Uncle Lee,
:)