Saturday, June 19, 2010

Upsetting...

Just finished marking my students' mid-term English paper and I am left feeling nothing less than upset, annoyed, angry and the whole nine yards.

I will get back to you guys later when my mind is at ease.  I am afraid that I might vent my frustration here thus leading me to utter horrid words that may seem to put my students down.  I shall cool down before the day ends so that what I need to express to them tomorrow is done in a mannerly fashion.

What have I been doing these past few months?  Sometimes I feel my works have had no blessings from Allah...What should I do to improve these students ability to write just simple sentences.  At least they get a passing...that is my only hope...to make them pass..while for the others who can write but are grammatically haywired, I need to push shove them a lot more so that a B would be guaranteed!  

What should I do? What should I do?

3 comments:

Wan Sharif said...

Puan,
I believe teaching Language is not an easy task especially if student have not much interest. There are few things that I remember that I found learning English is interesting.
1. I learned to understand NST cartoon.. an advice from the HM..
you can bring the cartoon to class ..then discuss to arouse interest.. take 5-10 minutes for this..
2. Reading text story book"round the world in 80 days' the teacher find all the interesting phrases to explain and sometimes make student dramatised the particular part.
3. the other is you can read at http://bakpo.blogspot.com/2010/06/happy-fathers-day-short-story.html..
do like what that teacher did in the short story

Bon courage ma ami

Uncle Lee said...

Hi Rosfida, you just take it easy....at least you don't have someone sneaking a snake in class, or an iguana and releasing it maths period.
There'll always be the moments of despair, of frustrations....but you will find a way....and who knows...one of your students might be a PM one day. Or Education Minister.

And they, or he or she will remember you. Same as I do the teacher who loves giving us homework on Fridays, ha ha.

Teachers who inspire realize there will always be rocks in the road ahead of us. They will be stumbling blocks or stepping stones; it all depends on how we use them.

May the Force be with you....have a glass of ice coffee and a chocolate cake, might help. Lee.

Rosfida Abu Sufi said...

En. Wan,

Like always, you are always thereto boost my morale..

Yes, this subject I involve myself into is definitely a tough one but the love for it..I shall go on!

I will try with the catchy phrases from books like Harry Potter or Twilight with my intermediate students while for the weaker ones, have to get cartoon like you have said. Have never tried this one before being pressured to prep them for the exams..you know how it is right?

Thanks for the advice.


Uncle Lee,
I try to inspire but at times I feel like I am at the losing end..if only I knew what I did wrong..Sometimes it is not the students but mainly the teachers, I believe. We are never told of our mistakes while we happily find the fault (in academic) of our students..

Mungkin I cakap laju sangat ker, tak paham ker..if only I knew..